The Roger Bacon Fitness Center opened its doors in August 2014. This 7,500 square foot facility includes hammer strength free-weights, dumbbells, a pin-machine circuit, and 6 cardio machines not only for athletes but students, faculty and staff. There is also a multipurpose/wrestling room and a space for students to relax between class and workouts. The commons area includes a lounge with study tables, wifi, and a television for students to catch up on homework before hitting the gym.
The Fitness Center is adjoining to the new Friars Club on the southern part of Roger Bacon’s campus. The Friars Club features regulation high school basketball and volleyball courts that are accessible to Roger Bacon athletic programs until 6:00 P.M. daily.
The Spartans’ Strength and Conditioning Coach, Bill Braselton will be work with coaches and students to establish team and individual workout plans. He will also be supervising the fitness center after school until 6:00 P.M.
In addition to the athletic facilities, Roger Bacon installed a 50 x 50 turf field behind the Friars Club for extra practice space. Both athletics and the band will be able to use this space for practices and scrimmages.
Due to growing enrollment, Roger Bacon broke ground for additional facilities in May of 1985. The Thomas J. Fogarty Center houses the gym, two sets of locker rooms for boys and girls, the athletic department offices, a training/sports medicine office, male and female coaches offices and the band room and office. The center was dedicated in 1988.
The Thomas J. Fogarty recently went through a renovation which started in 2015 and was finished by the fall of 2016. Renovations included two LCD video boards displaying school records and Hall of Fame awardees, a new floor design, updated team and state championship banners, and a 9-foot x 12-foot state-of-the-art video wall. In addition the entire lobby and gymnasium were painted and three murals were added to the lobby.
In addition, the court was named after benefactor and Roger Bacon graduate, Buddy LaRosa ’48. On September 7th, 2016 a dedication was held where Fr. Roger Lopez, OFM blessed Buddy LaRosa Court with Buddy and his two sons present.
Roger Bacon built its own stadium on Mitchell Avenue in 1954.
Bron Bacevich finished his career with a mark of 312-70-3, 150-39-8 record as head man of the Roger Bacon Spartans from 1954-73. Ohio didn’t start their playoff tournament until 1972, so Bacevich didn’t get much of an opportunity to go for a state title as many others have. However, he was still recognized as National Coach of the Year in 1973, his last year at Roger Bacon. The Spartans won seven Greater Catholic League titles in his 19 years, and finished unbeaten four times. Bacevich also coached at the University of Illinois and ended his career having coached at six high schools and three colleges. He was induced into the football halls of fame in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. Bron passed away in 1993 and the Bron Bacevich Memorial Stadium at Roger Bacon High School was dedicated in 1996.
The upgrade of Roger Bacon facilities continued as needs evolved. A campaign, “A Proud Past…A Promising Future” led to further renovation and expansion of the Roger Bacon campus as synthetic turf was installed at the Bron Bacevich Memorial Stadium.